Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Childhood Inspiration

Now that Bill Gates had officially transferred all his functions to his successors in Microsoft recently, it is indeed a new chapter in his life with focus more on philanthropy and a new vision to change the world.

I then realize that his success story was such an inspiration to me. How he lived his geek life at an early age, how he started with his pals Paul Allen and Steve Ballmer, and how they were able to change our world through software.

I remember...

I was 13 when I first dreamed to have my own computer. In that year, my father bought us a Casio computer which you have to connect to a television (as your monitor) and can program using BASIC language. I did some basic programs such as password and simple graphics. Also, you need to connect it to a cassette player to save and retrieve the program.

At 15, I studied COBOL programming (the youngest in that class).

At 16, my father bought us a PC-AT 286 with 5' 1/4" disk drive, a small harddisk and a colored monitor. This helped me learn more about this technology and the opportunities it can give to someone like me.

At 17, I took up Information Technology course in a state university and dreamed of having my own software company. During college, I was given the opportunity to compete in a graphics competition and was invited to lecture this technology to a graduating class.

At night, I had a teaching job in a computer school in Manila, where some of my students were already twice my age.

In my early 20s, I became involved in computer training, in putting up a technology events startup, in putting up a computer service business, and now into technology blogging.

I may never became someone like Bill, at the very least, I am still involved in something where my passion leads me.

Like Bill, it was my choice to pursue a little different path than most of my peers.

Like him, I will never stop dreaming.




Sphere: Related Content

No comments: